Thursday, July 14, 2011

Hard Drive Woes Again

This is a follow-up post to my June 22nd 2010 post on backups and crashing hard drives.

Seagate replaced the drive in question under warranty with one of their "factory reconditioned" drives a couple of weeks later. I had already purchased a new, larger drive so I could get the system up in running so it has been sitting in a cupboard for about a year

At the end of June, I decided to upgrade the drive in my HP MediaVault with this drive.

You can probably guess where I am going with this.....

Less than 20 days later the reconditioned drive failed just after I loaded 500 photos from a family vacation. Fortunately I had done a full backup less than 8 days ago so had almost a complete set of files. I was also able to recover many of the photos from the camera's memory card (thanks to CnW Recovery , so all in all, I lost just a few days podcasts and a handful of photos.

Who says lightning never strikes twice in the same place?

No comments: